Location : Prishtinë/Priština, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 02-Apr-21 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Gender Equality
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-3
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 03-May-2021
Duration of Initial Contract : 12 months (with possibility of extension)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 12 months (with possibility of extension)
Title: Communications Associate
Brand: UN Women
Post Type and Level: SB3 (q2)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women maintains a large presence throughout Europe and Central Asia (ECA) region, covering 12 countries, with programme presence in Kosovo* , Serbia, Tajikistan and North Macedonia; and country offices in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Turkey and Ukraine.
Over the past years, through the technical and financial support UN Women have been carried out different initiatives in Western Balkans’ countries with the goal of strengthening democratic governance and advance women’s rights aiming at mainstreaming gender in policy planning and budgeting.
In Kosovo, the Project “Gender component in Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) management and Social Dialogue” is implemented as part of UNOPS Program on promoting decent work through strengthening Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) management and Social Dialogue.” The long-term goal of the Programe is set against SDG 8 and its particular target 8 to ‘protect labour rights and promote safe and secure working environments for all workers’. In this light the gender component implemented through this project’s activities will focus on gender responsive promotion of decent work and OSH standards with the ultimate aim to foster women’s economic empowerment. In addition, it will provide detailed knowledge regarding women specific working conditions, including maternity leave protection, work organization as well as protection from gender-based discrimination and/or violence at the workplace. More specifically the activities will seek to achieve the following three outputs.
The second project implemented by UN Women is the “Transformative Financing for Gender Equality towards more Transparent, Inclusive and Accountable Governance in the Western Balkans” (2020-2024) funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation , the regional programme with participation of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo*, Serbia and North Macedonia. The main programme approach is transformative financing as an enabler factor for policy and financing actions to accelerate implementation of existing national and international commitments on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Under the supervision of UN Women Head of Office in Kosovo, under the guidance and in coordination with the UN Women Communications Officer and Programme/Project Team, in full accordance with applicable safety measures and protocols on COVID-19 prevention and control, issued by the Ministry of Health, WHO and the Kosovo Public Health Institute, the Programme Communications Associate will support the operations aspect of the project to ensure consistent service delivery for project activities under both abovementioned projects. References to Kosovo* shall be understood to be in the context of Security Council Resolution 1244 (1999).
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Promote the work of the Project
- Assist and advise the Programme/Project Team on the best ways to promote its work.
- Assist in fostering cooperation between the Programme/Project Team and stakeholders/beneficiaries.
2. Plan and design communications and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans:
- Develop communications and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans for the Programme/Project.
- Assists in the implementation of the Programme/Project’s outreach/advocacy strategy and plans.
- Monitor and analyse print and social media discussing the thematic areas of the Project.
3. Coordinate and contribute substantively to the development and dissemination of communications, advocacy, and knowledge products:
- Participate in the regular meetings of the Programme/Project Team and advises on how to disseminate information that is in the public interest.
- Develop concepts for awareness campaigns to raise public awareness on gender-responsive implementation of occupational. safety and health standards with focus on fostering social dialogue between the relevant parties.
- Liaise directly with selected partners, marketing companies to safeguard quality assurance of communications materials, including brochures, publications, and manage their dissemination.
- Draft briefing materials, press releases, and articles, and manage their dissemination.
4. Coordinate media relations
- Manage relationships with the media.
- Send Media invitations and press releases as needed.
- Draft talking points.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends.
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content.
- Timely updating of website and social media.
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies – https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively, and creatively across different constituencies
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Knowledge of local media landscape
- Communication, networking, and advocacy skills
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Bachelor’s Degree in media and communications, journalism, or any related field.
- At least 2 years of experience in the field of PR, communications, and advocacy.
- Proven experience in drafting articles and social media content.
- Proven experience in analysis on issues related to strengthening the institutional image.
- Experience in use of MS Office applications and general computer use.
- Fluency in Albanian and English is required.
- Knowledge of Serbian is considered an asset.
All interested candidates must complete a PERSONAL HISTORY FORM (P-11). Failure to disclose prior employment or making false representations on this form will be grounds for withdrawal of further consideration of his/her application or termination, where the appointment or contract has been issued.
P11 including past experience in similar assignments; can be downloaded at: http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
- Click on the “Apply now” button.
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box.
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit “submit application” tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed Personal History Form (P-11).
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (P11, academic qualifications/diploma) should be included as one attachment.